Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Kaaterskill Falls: day 2

Today a bunch of us went to draw at Kaaterskill Falls, another spot made famous by the Hudson River School painters. It's just a 10 minute drive from where we are staying.

"Kaaterskill and Haines Falls" by Hermann Fuechsell 1865


"Kauterskill Falls" by S.R. Gifford 1871

"Kindred Spirits" by Asher B. Durand 1849


Here we are today, having a quiet morning before the tourists started to show up. We're focusing on close studies of nature, to learn how water behaves, how roots connect to the ground, etc. it's pretty fascinating and exciting to be out here working among a crew of super motivated artists! go team.









Ken Salaz measuring up to the falls

1 comment:

Gregory Becker said...

This is so interesting. I have been following the Hudson River school fellowship since I read about it in an art magazine.
Sadie Jernigan Valeri is also blogging about this and for me that is tremendous.
I hope to be a part of this one day.
I have loved landscapes ever since I saw what Jacob Van Ruisdael did with clouds in a painting.
From the Hudson movement through the Tonalist movement is my favorite period of landscape art.
I guess I just want to say that I am watching your posts to see how the experience unfolds for the participants.
Thank you for documenting the experience. I hope to see some of the work go from drawing to finished painting.

Sincerely,
Gregory Becker